The Clough Valley Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution was organized on December 7, 1960, by the Organizing chapter Regent Edith Pope Westerman and the following were charter members:
Mrs. Donald Albright, Mrs. William Bright, Mrs. C. R. Brookbank, Mrs. Richard Carter, Mrs. Woodruff Clark, Mrs. Jerry Douglas, Mrs. Leland Douglas, Mrs. Marion Gilbert,
Mrs. Theodore Jester, Mrs. George Koch, Mrs. Ray Leopold, Mrs. D. Walter Myers,
Mrs. R.C. Niehaus, Mrs. William W. Pope, Mrs. Robert Preston, Mrs. Arnold Rennebarth, Mrs. Edwin J. Stoecklin, and Mrs. Frank L. Westerman.
The chapter honors our patriot Colonel Richard Clough Anderson who was born on January 12, 1750, at Goldmine, Hanover County, Virginia, to Robert Anderson, the son of a Scottish immigrant, and Elizabeth Clough. Richard was educated at home and at the age of 16 entered into an apprenticeship with Patrick Coots, a local merchant. He served with the Hanover Minutemen and the 5th Virginia Regiment during the American Revolutionary War, and participated in the early reconnaissance efforts near Trenton on Christmas Day, 1776. In June 1783, he was a charter member of the Society of the Cincinnati.
Toward the end of the war, he was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel, and after the war he was appointed US Surveyor General for western lands distributed to Virginia veterans known as the Virginia Military District. This land is located in Southwest Ohio being east of Cincinnati, in the river valley of the Little Miami extending in both Hamilton County's Anderson Township and areas north and east into Clermont County where our members reside. He moved to Middletown, near Louisville, Kentucky, and became the first Master of the Lexington Masonic Lodge. He died on October 15, 1826. Anderson married twice: Elizabeth Clark (m. November 24, 1787) and, following her death in 1795, Sarah Marshall (m. September 17, 1797). His son, Richard C. Anderson, Jr., became a member of the United States House of Representatives from Kentucky.